Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Well, that was Exciting!

I am the absolute last person who should be messing with electricity.  Seriously.

Luckily, we found this great electrician (kind of sketchy on how official that title is) who knows what he is doing and does so fairly cheaply (that is the part that makes me feel suspicious about the title.)  So, for the most part, I let him do all of the stuff with the electric.  (Do you like how I said that just like your grandma might?  That's to emphasize how little business I have messing with it.) 

If you read here even occassionally, you know that I am OCD about weird things. For instance, the fact that the outlets in the old house were all almond colored really annoyed the shit out of me. So, I wanted to switch the outlets to new white ones. Well, Mr. Electrician man, switched about a third of them and then just broke down and taught me how to do it and some special tricks to do it correctly with fucking aluminum wiring, which if you don't have it, say a prayer of thanks, and if you do have it, I have the number for a great electrician.

So cut to the new house.

The run down dream house. 

Guess what color all the outlets are?  Yep, fucking almond.  And somehow all are filthy.  Like, how the fuck do you get goopy dirt all up in an outlet without killing yourself?? 
Anyways, this house has copper wiring. THANK GOD!  It's only about a million times easier to work with.  Even I could do this!

Well, yes.  I successfully replaced the outlets in my son's room and in the upstairs hallway as I painted. 

Here is a before




















Here is an after



See?  Such an ass I am!  The wretched brass and shiny wall plates had to go.  I considered just spray painting them all, but this being my dream house and all, I decided to spring for new oil rubbed bronze covers.  They look awesome, yes?


Well, let me tell you a little known secret.  Metal, specifically, oil rubbed bronze conducts electricity like a champ.  Like a champ, I say!  Did you know that a loose METAL outlet cover and a plug that's half in creates a very interesting situation? Trying to screw on the metal cover while having a plug half in with a live outlet may be a dipshit idea?  (An instance where one's laziness may even kill you?)  Did you know that electrical current can even cut metal?

Now you do and so do I.  Fuuuuuuck.


 

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy! Also, love the new outlets. My OCD wouldn't get the middd part be a different colour so mine are all white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you for sharing your OCD too! I was nervous about the contrast, but am happy with it.

    ReplyDelete